There are a lot of mispronunciations of the term quinoa, so before we begin the correct pronunciation is KEEN-WAH. Now that we have set the rumors straight, what is this whole protein about and why is it so great? Below we listed a little about quinoa and where it comes from:
- It is a grain crop originally grown by ancient Incans for its edible seeds
- Started in Peru, Chile, and Bolivia
- Dubbed a “super crop” because it can grow in poor soil without fertilizer and irrigation
- Part of the goosefoot family (which also includes spinach and sugar beets
- Quinoa fields were destroyed in the 1500s with little remnants. It resurfaced in the 1970s!
- It is gluten-free!
- It is low in cholesterol and sodium
- Per 100 grams, it offers 35% of your daily iron, 65% of daily phosphorous, 55% of daily magnesium, and 14 g of protein
- It is an anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant
- Helps prevent illnesses and diseases
- High in fiber making you feel fuller longer
Takeaway: Quinoa has been around for a long time especially in South America and is proven to have many nutritional benefits.