Helpful Tools to Keep your Diet and Nutrition In-Check
What is it?
- A food guide that reflects the recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- It can help you be healthier now and in the future
- Recommends serving sizes of each food group
- Discusses the pros and types of different exercise
- Focus on variety, amount, and nutrition
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make half your grain choice whole grain
- Vary your protein intake (meat, poultry, fish, nuts, beans, quinoa)
- Consume more low-fat and fat-free dairy products
- Drink more water!
- Eat less of sodium, saturated fats, and added sugars
- Support healthy eating for everyone!
My Fitness Pal
What is it?
- A free, website or app food tracker created by Under Armour that is quick and easy to use!
- You can connect with others who have the same goal for motivational support
- Logging your food is made simple by either searching for your food and choosing the serving size or inputting your own nutritional information for a food
- You can designate when you eat your food (breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack)
- Your food choices are broken down based on either calories, nutrients, or macros
- Water (in cups, mL, fl. oz.) and exercise (cardio v. strength) can be tracked as well
- This program can track your progress and set specific goals whether you are wanting to maintain, gain, or lose weight
- You simply add your weight on the days that you choose and optionally upload a progress picture to see your results
- It also offers recipes that the community has posted, or if you have questions others can answer them as well
Takeaway: MyPlate is a great basis for how to eat healthy and ways to exercise, then you can track your progress on My Fitness Pal to stay motivated and accountable.